Sunday, February 16, 2014

What is a Reaffirmation Agreement?





       In Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, a client has a choice to make about secured debts, usually his or her car loans and mortgages.    “Do I keep them or walk away?”
The process to keep a debt and have it survive a Bankruptcy is called “reaffirming a debt” by signing a so-called Reaffirmation Agreement.  This is a voluntary agreement that must be signed by both the debtor and the creditor.

A reaffirmation agreement is essentially a waiver.  It tells the judge the following:  “Even though I am in Bankruptcy and I could walk away from this debt and never pay a single dime, I am electing NOT to do that.  Instead, I am telling the whole world that I like this debt and intend to pay it back so that I can keep my car forever.  I understand that I must pay this debt on time and in full even if the car breaks down or if I lose my job, and I cannot go back and file another Bankruptcy if I change my mind.  I understand that by signing it, I stand to lose my car and a future lawsuit for money if I ever miss a payment.”
Because a Reaffirmation Agreement is so serious, I recommend a visit with an attorney to discuss this option and what it entails.  In many cases we assists clients in Chapter 7 Bankruptcies with strategies to retain their cars while avoiding signing a reaffirmation agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment